This is a little late, but better late than never!
So, this whole time God was really speaking to me through the story of Abraham about just going… So I knew he wanted me to just go back to the orphanage I went to this spring, but I didn’t want to go.. So I argued with God for a really long time about other alternatives, but got nowhere. I knew I had to take that step and trust him. So after a few months of that, literally, in November, I finally surrendered to his will and said if you want me to go there, I will! And I sent the email to madam Jeannette at the orphanage.
She replied the next day and said they’d love to have me… and everything changed after that email. So I was talking to my oldest sister about it all and my doubts and concerns, and she was saying how sometimes it’s really hard to interpret what God is trying to tell us. (No joke!) That maybe God was just laying that little boy on my heart because he really want me to pray for him, because there’s probably not many people praying specifically for him. Then she told me that I needed to write down every option I have and pray about it. So that’s what I did! The more I prayed, I had confirmation that I just needed to pray for him. I was telling someone about it and just the questions I had and they piped in and were like, well maybe it’s like the story of Abraham! I was like, what?? That’s the story God has been using to tell me to go, not to stay. They replied the story of Abraham and Isaac. That maybe God was taking you up the mountains to see if you have a willing heart. Then I went to church the next day and the sermon was about Abraham and Isaac and God wanting a willing heart…
So I continued to pray for Sebastian and decided that I wasn’t going to Haiti unless God made it clear that I should at this point.
But I still had doubts of “what if I’m supposed to go?”
So in this time of waiting I ran into a swim coach that I had known for years and he was talking to me and telling me I needed to get back in the water and start swimming. He was saying that I needed to go somewhere where it would pay for my school and just enjoy the last couple years. So I really started praying about that too. He was the CEO of the team and told me that while I figured things out I wouldn’t have to worry about anything and that they could even help me find a job while I was swimming. So I told him that I was going to take the week and pray about it, because I was going to help my sister with her kids for the week.
So while I was at my sisters, I got a text from my youngest sister saying she had got a text from Molly, who works for convoy. Molly said… “Hey! I have big news for your sister… I’m in Haiti this week and went to madam Jeanette’s orphanage and Sebastian’s not even there anymore. I guess his mom came and picked him up!”
Like WHAT?!?! This was the final confirmation that I wasn’t supposed to go now. I had specifically been praying that God would give Sebastian a family and that He would know Jesus when he grows up. I was amazed and in awe of how God works!
So I decided I was going to start swimming again, and plan to be in shape to go somewhere fall 2016. It all just made sense. So, I was at a club meet this past weekend talking to one of the club coaches and he was asking about if I had figure out a job for this spring… Then I told him that I actually thought I was going to take some classes to get them out of the way. And one of the old colleges coaches piped in and said that he didn’t think I could do that because it would mess up my eligibility… So I drop my classes and went to talk to compliance people about it first thing Tuesday morning. I was so thankful that I found out Sunday, not Tuesday. Definitely God keeping me in line. Had I simply been enrolled in classes for a single school day, then I would have lost an entire year of eligibility. I figured out that because I started classes in fall 2015, but didn’t finish that my eligibly was messed up and I basically had two options. Go back to Arkansas and take 24 hours before the end of the summer or go to the school I was going to go to and spend an academic year in residency before I could swim. So, the second option was really the only options, There was no way I could take 24 hours before the end of the summer. So I found out Tuesday, January 19th, that I was moving to Indianapolis and got there by Friday the 23rd. God is so good!